- Surfaces, interfaces, and novel materials.
- Geometric, electronic, and magnetic structural determinations of actinides, liquids (especially water), and nanoscale materials such as magnetic ultrathin films and multilayers, semiconductor quantum dots and layered high-temperature superconductors.
- Synchrotron radiation x-ray absorption, photoelectron spectroscopy and photoelectron diffraction as well as inverse photoelectron spectroscopy, with an emphasis on x-ray circular polarization techniques and spin-sensitive measurements.
- J.G. Tobin, S.W. Yu, B.W. Chung, G.D. Waddill, L. Duda and J. Nordgren, "Observation of Strong Resonant Behavior in the Inverse Photoelectron Spectroscopy of Ce Oxide," Phys. Rev B 83, 085104 (2011).
- S.-W. Yu, J.G. Tobin, J. C. Crowhurst, S. Sharma, J. K. Dewhurst, P. Olalde-Velasco, W. L. Yang, W. J. Siekhaus, "A demonstration that UO2 is an f-f electron correlated system," Phys. Rev. B 83 (2011).
- S.-W. Yu and J.G. Tobin, "Confirmation of Sample Quality: X-ray and Ultraviolet Photoelectron Spectroscopy of Uranium Dioxide," J. Vac. Sci. Tech. A 29, 021008 (2011).
- J. G. Tobin, S. W. Yu, B. W. Chung, G. D. Waddill and J. D. Denlinger, "Direct comparison of the x-ray emission and absorption of cerium oxide," J. Vac. Sci. Technol. A 29 (3) May/Jun 2011.
- J. G. Tobin, S.-W. Yu, B.W. Chung, G.D. Waddill and AL Kutepov, "Narrowing the Range of Possible Solutions to the Pu Electronic Structure Problem: Developing a new Bremstrahlung Isochromat Spectroscopy Capability," IOP Conf. Series: Materials Science and Engineering 9 012054 (2010).
Web site: https://www-pls.llnl.gov/?url=about_pls-scientific_staff-tobin_j