Basic issues in quantum computation and information processing (optical control, measurement, and decoherence of electron spins in semiconductor quantum dots) and semiconductor spintronics (adding spin as a new dimension of information to electronics).
Selected Recent Publications
- Ren-Bao Liu, Wang Yao and L.J. Sham, "Quantum computing by optical control of electron spins", Advances in Physics Vol. 59, No. 5, 703-802 (2010).
- Erik D. Kim, Katherine Truex, Xiaodong Xu, Bo Sun, D. G. Steel, A. S. Bracker, D. Gammon, and L. J. Sham, "Fast Spin Rotations by Optically Controlled Geometric Phases in a Charge-Tunable InAs Quantum Dot", Phys. Rev. Lett. 104, 167401 (2010).
- L. K. Castelano and L. J. Sham, "Proposal for efficient generation of spin-polarized current in silicon", Appl. Phys. Lett. 96, 212107 (2010).
- Xiaodong Xu, Wang Yao, Bo Sun, Duncan G. Steel, Allan S. Bracker, Daniel Gammon, and L. J. Sham, "Optically controlled locking of the nuclear field via coherent dark-state spectroscopy", Nature 459, 1105 (2009).
- R-B Liu, S-H Fung, H-K Fung, A N Korotkov and L J Sham, "Dynamics revealed by correlations of time-distributed weak measurements of a single spin", New J. Phys. 12, 013018 (2009). 8pp.
- S. K. Saikin, Wang Yao, and L. J. Sham, "Single-electron spin decoherence by nuclear spin bath: Linked-cluster expansion approach", Phys. Rev. B 75, 125314 (2007). 12 pages.
- Wang Yao, Ren-Bao Liu, and L. J. Sham, "Restoring Coherence Lost to a Slow Interacting Mesoscopic Spin Bath", Phys. Rev. Lett. 98, 077602 (2007).
- H. Dery, P. Dalal, L. Cywiński, and L. J. Sham, "Spin-based logic in semiconductors for reconfigurable large-scale circuits", Nature 447, 573 (2007).
- H. Dery and L. J. Sham, "Spin Extraction Theory and Its Relevance to Spintronics", Phys. Rev. Lett. 98, 046602 (2007).
- H. Dery, L. Cywiński, and L. J. Sham, "Spin transference and magnetoresistance amplification in a transistor", Phys. Rev. B 73, 161307 R (2006).