Low-dimensional and nanoscale electron systems
The research carried out in Michael Fogler's group is devoted to the theory of low-dimensional and nanoscale electron systems. A variety of such systems are being examined, ranging from zero-dimensional quantum dots to one-dimensional nanowires to two-dimensional electron gases and graphene. Examples of the recent work include investigation of low-temperature hopping transport in one-dimensional nanowires , analysis of Coulomb correlations in ultra-thin gated two-dimensional structures , study of the interplay between elastic and electronic properties in nanoscale graphene flakes [3, 4]. The group is engaged in active collaboration with UCSD experimentalists. Coherence and dynamics of cold excitons in semiconductor quantum wells is studied in collaboration with Leonid Butov's group . Infrared optics of monolayer and bilayer graphene is investigated jointly with Dmitry Basov's group .
- A. S. Rodin, M. M. Fogler, Apparent power-law behavior of conductance in disordered quasi-one-dimensional systems, Phys. Rev. Lett. 105, 106801 (2010).
- B. Skinner, M. M. Fogler, A simple variational method for calculating energy and quantum capacitance of an electron gas with screened interactions, Phys. Rev. B (R) 82, 201306 (2010).
- M. M. Fogler, A. H. Castro Neto, F. Guinea, Effect of external conditions on the structure of scrolled graphene edges, Phys. Rev. B 81, 161408(R) (2010).
- E. Prada, P. San-Jose, G. León, M. M. Fogler, F. Guinea, Singular elastic strains and magnetoconductance of suspended graphene, Phys. Rev. B 81, 161402(R) (2010).
- M. Remeika, J.C. Graves, A.T. Hammack, A.D. Meyertholen, M.M. Fogler, L.V. Butov, M. Hanson, A.C. Gossard, Localization-Delocalization Transition of Indirect Excitons in Lateral Electrostatic Lattices, Phys. Rev. Lett. 102, 186803 (2009).
- L. M. Zhang, Z. Q. Li, D. N. Basov, M. M. Fogler, Z. Hao, M. C. Martin, Determination of the electronic structure of bilayer graphene from infrared spectroscopy results, Phys. Rev. B 78, 235408 (2008).